Complete List of Databases (A-Z)
Below are research databases that our library subscribes to. They contain loads of information not necessarily found through the Internet. You’ll need your library card to log into most of these databases.
- Academic Search Premier Full-text articles from over 1,000 journals, covering a range of topics, including business, social sciences, general science, and multiculturalism.
- BC Laws – Free public access to the Statutes & Regulations of B.C.
- Bill Silver Digital Newspaper Archive -this database searches the following newspapers:
- The Vanderhoof Herald: 1917-1920
- Nechako Chronicle: 1920-1983
- Omineca Express: 1982-1989 and 1991-2007
British Columbia Codes (in Library Use Only) – Includes the current BC Building Code (including Plumbing Services) and the BC Fire Code.
- British Columbia Statistics – Statistics on population, business, the economy, labour and society. From BCStats, the central statistical agency of the Province of British Columbia.
- Business Source Premier [EBSCO] – Includes more than 2,000 business journals covering topics such as marketing, management, accounting and finance, as well as information about specific trades, industries and professions. Additional content includes market research reports, industry reports, country reports, company profiles and SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analyses. Video Tutorial [4:40 minutes]
- Business Plan Handbooks – A compilation of business plans developed by small businesses throughout North America. Access is made possible by the Small Business Accelerator at the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre at UBC with financial support from the Sutherland Foundation.
- Canadian Encyclopedia – A comprehensive information source about Canada and Canadians, for students, the general public and scholars. Includes articles written by experts, as well as web links and multimedia clips. No library card is required to access these resources on the Internet.
- Canadian Reference Centre [EBSCO] – Access “Canadian content” in domestic and international magazines, newspapers, newswires and reference books. Also includes biographies and a large image collection of photos, maps, and flags.
- Clicklaw – An Internet subject guide to authoritative legal resources in BC and Canada. Developed by the Legal Services Society of BC and now maintained by the BC Courthouse Library Society. No library card is required to access this resource on the Internet.
- Consumer Health Complete [EBSCO] – Health information for the general public, patients and health professionals. Includes mainstream medical information and holistic/alternative health information from popular and professional magazines, journals, reference books and reports. Also includes the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, with up-to-date information on medications, natural products and vaccines available in the U.S. Video Tutorial [5 minuntes]
- EBSCOhost periodicals – Search the content of more than 10,000 popular and academic magazines, reference books, plus images, covering all subject areas, from current events and history to the arts and sciences. Many Canadian titles are included. Narrow results by date, subject, publication, etc. Video Tutorial [2:25 minutes]
- Edmark Learning Software (LearnNowBC) – LearnNowBC is a single point of entry to distributed learning in British Columbia through the use of Edmark Learning Software.
- Explora Canada – Information for students of all ages on a wide variety of topics, from history and current events to science and technology. Search a variety of sources such as magazines, encyclopedias, primary source documents and more.
- Explora Primary Schools – A research interface for K-5. Simple search that quickly delivers relevant results including articles, essays, and primary source documents to help students feel successful in their research. Easy-to-browse categories organized by popular topic to give students research ideas. Topic overviews that provide students with a starting point for research.
- GreenFile [EBSCO] – Provides information related to all aspects of human impact on the environment, from global warming to recycling to alternate fuel sources and more. Identifies or provides full-text access to scholarly, government and general-interest periodicals and reports.
- IndieFlix – Watch award-winning shorts, features, and documentaries from more than 50 countries. Streaming movies available on all Internet-enabled computers, tablets (including iPad and Android), smart phones through the Web browser, and on Roku and Xbox.
- Khan Academy – “Learn almost anything for free.” 3300 videos explain many subjects.
- Library 2 Go – Download and listen to best selling and classic audio books 24/7 on your PC, laptop, PDA or MP3 player at home, in the office or anywhere in the world.
Or download and read best selling and classic eBooks anytime on your PC, Laptop, Smart phone, tablet, or other eBook Reader!
Library 2 Go is free; all you need is your library card number.
- NoveList K-8 [EBSCO] – Helps kids find lots of ideas for “what to read next.” Kids, parents and teachers can identify “just the right book,” whether it is a novel about female astronauts set in outer space, the next book in a series, or what to read after Harry Potter.
- NoveList [EBSCO] – Looking for a good novel? Want to find book reviews? Desperate to find other authors that are similar to your favourite? Check out NoveList, a database of fiction books and authors, recommended reading lists, book discussion ideas and book reviews for all ages.
- OneClickDigital – A collection of more than 4,000 downloadable audiobooks from Recorded Books, including 100 Canadian titles from Maple Leaf Audio. These audiobooks are all simultaneous use, with no holds or waitlists. Download titles to your home computer, or to a mobile device using the OneClickDigital app.
- Points to the Past – Searchable primary source material: maps, photos, newspapers, manuscripts, pamphlets, portraits, sermons, poems, and more. For research, teaching and learning.
- Teen Health & Wellness database – Real life – real answers.
- Vehicle Safety and Inspection Standards Online (In Library Use Only) Current vehicle safety and inspection standards and related BC legislation.
- Zinio – Online magazines that you can download for free and read on your computer, tablet or smartphone.