Students & Post-Secondary Planning
- Ad Fontes Media - Reliability and bias ratings for numerous news sources, articles, television programs, and podcasts.
- AllSides - Actively works to help you to understand the role media bias plays in the news and information you consume, as well as how to combat bias.
- Cambridge Dictionary OnlineCambridge Dictionary Online, opens a new window - Find definitions for those tricky words!
- Easy Bib - Generate citations in MLA, APA & Chicago formats for your bibliography.
- Essay Info - Help with essay planning, structure, and basic writing. Has information on types of essays, presentation writing, business writing, and scholarships.
- Essay Writing Center - Help with essay planning, structure, and basic writing. Has information on types of essays, presentation writing, business writing, and scholarships.
- Evaluating Information Sources (UBC) - This guide will help you to evaluate resources you use for research, whether it is an online or print journal article, a website, a book, a newspaper article, or other source that you want to cite.
- GradeSaver - Excellent essay editing and literature studies resources.
- Lexico Dictionary (Powered by Oxford) - Oxford English and Spanish dictionary, thesaurus, and Spanish to English translator. Includes tips for learning English as a second language.
- MediaBias - There's no such thing as unbiased news. But hidden media bias misleads, manipulates and divides us. AllSides empowers you to understand the role media bias plays in the news and information you consume.
- Plagiarism - Plagiarism is a common (and often misunderstood) problem that is often the result of a lack of knowledge and skills. Learn what plagiarism is and how to avoid it with a comprehensive set of resources to help students write with integrity.
- SparkNotes Guides- Summaries and insightful critical analyses of English literature, including Shakespeare, along with guides for history, math, biology, and other subjects.
- Thesaurus Online, opens a new window - Easily searchable online thesaurus to help spice up your writing.
- Write a Bibliography - from WikiHow.
Research Starting Places - a sample
- Google Scholar - Provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources: articles, theses, books, abstracts, and court opinions, all from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities, and other websites.
- Points to the Past - A collection of over 200 million pages of digitized historical documents made available by Cengage and three BC Universities. Any British Columbian connected to the internet in BC has barrier-free access to these primary sources.
- ProQuest - Search nearly five-million digitized pages of news, ads, images and more that showcase BC’s heritage, accessing 125+ years of news archives of The Province (1894-2010), The Times Colonist (1884-2010), and The Vancouver Sun (1912-2010). This online access is made possible through a collaboration of academic, public, and school libraries across BC.
- Public Library of Science - Journals - PLOS publishes a suite of influential Open Access journals across all areas of science and medicine. Rigorously reported, peer reviewed, and immediately available without restrictions, promoting the widest readership and impact possible.
- PubMed Central - A free, full-text archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the US National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM) with contributions from professionals world-wide.
- BC Ministry of Education Scholarships, Bursaries, and Awards - Learn more about eligibility and how to apply.
- Campus Program – University, college and employment resources that guide you from high school to your dream job.
- Canadian Career College and Trade School Directory - Lists all of the trade schools in Canada by province.
- Canadian Government Student Aid - Undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and post-doctoral scholarships, awards and bursaries.
- Canadian Universities & Colleges - Find programs in universities and colleges across Canada.
- Career Trek - Featured careers in British Columbia.
- Career Profiles - Find information on different careers, including job duties and projected demand.
- Education Planner BC - Advice, information, and resources to help you plan your educational journey. Apply to post-secondary schools on-site!
- Financial Literacy in Canada - Discover resources and training from the federal government to help you become financially literate.
- School Finder - Explore college and university programs all across Canada.
- Trades Training in BC - Find the next available seat for your trade at an institution near you using our seat finder.
Study Tips (SFU)
- Exam Preparation through Lectures and Readings - As you complete the lecture and reading for each topic in a course, go through this checklist to enhance your learning and begin the process of effective exam preparation.
- How to Study Efficiently and Effectively - Covers study schedule, study environment, and effective study strategies.
- Improve Your Memory - Sleep, consistent studying, and deep processing. Wait, what's deep processing? Click through to find out.
- Reviewing after Lecture - A key step in your regular study routine.
Health & Help
- Here2Talk - connects students with mental health support when they need it. Through this program, all students – domestic or international – currently registered in a B.C. post-secondary institution have access to free, confidential counselling and community referral services, conveniently available 24/7 via app, phone and web.
- Mental Health Literacy - Mental health is part of overall health. Just like it’s important to be informed about your health, it’s equally important to be informed about your mental health. Mental Health Literacy aims to take the best available scientific evidence in mental health and make it easy to understand and accessible for everyone.